How Long Does it Take to Charge an Electric Car?


In recent years, Aussie’s interest in EVs has been stronger with the state’s efforts to encourage green living and promote electric cars. Yet, many are sceptical about switching to electric cars due to various factors and charging speed is one of them.

So, how long will it take to charge an electric car? Whether you’re a new owner of an EV or curious to invest in them, this guide on the electric vehicle charging speed of an electric car will help you make informed decisions.

Charging Speed of an Electric Vehicle

While several factors influence the charging speed, the two most significant ones are the charging power and capacity. When you understand this two, the answer to your question is straightforward. Let’s look at the details of each of these factors:-

Battery Capacity

It’s the battery that determines how much energy can be stored. Hence, the battery’s capacity plays a significant role in how long it will take to charge an EV. The battery capacity differs from one make and model to another. For example, Nissan LEAF has a 30kwh battery capacity, while Tesla’s range of EVs is 100kwh.

Charging Power

What is charging power? The amount of energy introduced into the battery per hour. It greatly depends on certain factors, including the on-board charger of the car, the electric car, and car charging stations. For example, a Nissan Leaf EV with a 30KW battery capacity will take about 7 hours to be fully charged from 0% battery.

So, how much range will you get with one-hour charging?

It depends on the type of charger you are using and the EV you own. However, Nissan Leaf, with 40kwh capacity, has a 270km range at the max. A level 2 charger will be as fast as LEAF’s on-board charger that is 6.6kw, and it would take 6 hours to charge the car. When you divide it, it comes around 45km per hour charging.

Other Factors That Influence the Charging Speed


Temperature also plays a crucial role in determining the charging speed of the electric car. Usually, battery cells operate effectively between 20 and 25C. Weather conditions and fast charging will all impact the battery temperature. If the temperature is too low or high, the car’s battery management system reduces power input to protect the battery, resulting in reduced charging speed.

The State of Charge

The level of charge of a battery’s relation in capacity has a great impact on charging speed. In order to prevent overheating and battery life, charging slows down greatly when a battery is charged to its capacity. That’s why dc charging is very effective between 0 and 80%. The remaining 20% will take time as it took to charge the 80%.

Want to learn more about charging speed and how to choose the right charging station? Please give us a call. We can guide you.

The author is a blogger, and supplies high-quality electric car charging stations. Powered by durable components and intelligent software, his EV charging products are recommended and approved by all major EV manufacturers. Visit for more details.

Comments are closed