IPL Cancellation Around the Corner After Lockdown and Olympic Postponement

The BCCI will be under huge pressure as cancellation of Indian Premier League looks around the corner after Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared a 21-day lockdown in the country to restrict COVID-19 pandemic. Earlier the league was about to begin from March 31 but now it had postponed to April 15 as well. COVID-19 has affected nearly 700 people in India and more than 10 people have died already.

While speaking to PTI, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly has said about the league.

“I can’t say anything at the moment. We are at the same place where we were on the day we postponed. Nothing has changed in the last 10 days. So, I don’t have an answer to it. Status quo remains,” Ganguly’s helplessness was palpable.

“The BCCI should really consider postponing the IPL now. As a premier event, we need to act with great responsibility. Contemplation of IPL is inhumane right now,” KXIP co-owner Ness Wadia told PTI. “Lets say even if the situation improves by May and I hope it does, who is going to come and play? Will the (foreign players) be even allowed to enter the country?”

Earlier on Tuesday, the conference call of BCCI officials and team owners was also postponed as the COVID-19 cases continue to increase in the country and around the world as well. Currently, the stakeholder is discussing different ways to limit the financial damage with insurance companies as well as broadcasters too.

“If Olympics can be postponed by a year, IPL is a much smaller entity in that regard. It is becoming increasingly difficult to organise. At this point the government is not even thinking about allowing foreign visas,” a BCCI official has said as well.

For more update Cricadium

Comments are closed