Landlord Tenant Dispute in Texas

Landlord disputes are one of the most common reasons for a small claims case for a savvy renter!  Unfortunately, despite a lot of good and respectable landlords, there are still a few really, really, really bad landlords out there.  Landlord Tenant Dispute in Texas

Over the years, the Texas Legislature has enacted laws to help tenants who have been harmed or wronged by their landlord.  To stand up for your rights as a tenant against your landlord, you can file a small claims case to seek damages.  We could right a book on all of the ways you may have a case against your landlord.  Instead of reading such a boring book, schedule an appointment today to speak with one of our lawyers.

Conversion of Property Lawyer

Conversion of property in Texas is when there is an unauthorized and wrongful assumption and exercise of control over the personal property of another, which is inconsistent with the owner’s rights.  For example, did you let your neighbor borrow your car and he never gave it back when you asked?  That’s conversion.

As with any case, the plaintiff must still prove their damages.  Be wary:  Texas forces you to pick the type of damages you ask for.  You either get damages for the value of the property that was converted OR the return of the property plus special damages for the loss of its use during the time it was converted.  Not both.

Comments are closed